Week 8: Lily Poljacik
In the last chapter of Electronic Literature, Scott Rettberg explores the dynamic nature of digital literature, focusing on its flexibility and incorporation of new technologies. A very interesting observation on his part is that "the forms of electronic literature do not remain static but rather are always in motion, shifting and evolving in relation to technological and cultural change" (Rettberg 217). This means that e-lit is continuously being redefined to include new platforms and new art forms. He talks of the creation of interactive screens, VR storytelling, and location-based storytelling and says that new ideas like these challenge our understanding of literature. The use of AI-generated narratives and machine learning for creative ends also suggests that e-lit is not an established genre but a field of continuing research. Rettberg states that "rather than simply being displaced, earlier genres of electronic literature often become foundational components of new hybrid forms" (Rettberg 219), which supports the idea that digital literature is not in danger of becoming obsolete but is rather an important component of modern and future narrative. As technology advances, the potential for engaging and enriching reading will only grow, making electronic literature an important evolving art form.
I decided to look more into the piece Bubble, which I ended up finding to be one of my favorite pieces I’ve explored in this course. The idea of the bubble representing the Earth and how as time goes on the damage that is done to it is irreparable and impossible to fix is devastating but empowering. I think that the game itself is really interactive and engaging, so it was very easy to stay invested in the piece and follow it to the end.
I loved Bubble! It really was a harrowing experience and one that left me thinking more about the state of the Earth and how we are ruining it. I love how you describe the piece and I think it is something that everyone should check out!
ReplyDelete