Sharing Digital Texts (Kira Littlefield)

    Depression Quest by Zoe Quinn, Patrick Lindsey, and Issac Schankler is a piece of electronic literature that is a huge inspiration to my final e-lit project. While we have talked about this piece before I wanted to touch upon it again as it relates to my final project. Firstly, this is a Twine piece and my e-lit will also be in the Twine format. Secondly, this piece touches upon an unfortunate but meaningful topic, and that is what I hope to achieve with my Twine. My Twine will be a fiction/nonfiction piece about the experience of dealing with an eating disorder. I hope to have my piece portray a meaningful message as Depression Quest did, and possibly have a similar format. Having my piece have multiple options throughout each page I feel will make it more interactive as Depression Quest is, and possibly more like a chose your own adventure, but more serious. The photos that are throughout each page in Depression Quest I feel are something I would like to input into my Twine as well. 

    Depression Quest relates to electronic literature as it is a piece of interactive hypertext. Scott Rettberg also touches upon hypertext pieces as well. Rettberg states, "Of the genres considered in this book, hypertext is in the strange situation of being the genre that has been most written about in the field, while simultaneously the genre least activity pursued by writers in recent years" (Rettberg 86). I touched upon this statement from Rettberg quite earlier in the semester, and now that we are almost done with the semester I feel I see the truth behind this statement even more. However, I now will be one of the writers who are pursuing a piece of hypertext even though it is not done very often now. 


Here you see an example of one of the photos in Depression Quest




Comments

  1. I love this idea for a final project. In a sense, Depression Quest was a moving piece that spread awareness in an interesting way. By using this technique on such an important topic is such an amazing idea! I cant wait to see your final project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Avry final project link