K-A's Week Nine: Bring It To The Table
First going into Chris Milk's TED Talk, I wasn't fully convinced of his empathy claim. I've always found film to be a perfectly adequate way of encouraging empathy in viewers without the addition of VR. Oftentimes, the odd camera angles or movement would make me feel sick and disengage after a while. When I took a look at Clouds Over Sidra, the visceral reactions Milk was talking about finally clicked. I have seen a few other VR videos on YouTube before, but they were mostly for entertainment purposes and typically not over two minutes long. There is a shot around 7 minutes in that made me hit pause with just the sheer feeling of expansiveness. If the video was still-frame, I don't think I would have had the same reaction. I probably would have assumed the camera was shooting from the very edge of the camp. But this way I could move the camera in any direction and see the temporary housing out to the horizon.
For my bring it to the table, I decided to check out 1,000 Cut Journey. It definitely falls into the "odd" category of VR I mentioned earlier. The mix of 3D models and videos of real people is a bit jarring, and anytime you see Mike in a mirror, something seems a bit off. For me personally, it detracts from the experience. All that being said, I can still see how this would be a good way for people who are not familiar with the struggles of POCs to get a feel for what they go through.
I agree, I was a little skeptical of how VR could really encourage empathy but after I watched Clouds over Sidra it convinced me! I'd really like to watch it with a headset.
ReplyDeleteI like how you talk about your change in perspective on VR following the Ted Talk and looking at Clouds Over Sidra. It really shows that VR has capabilities far beyond what most people think of it as.
ReplyDelete