The Medium is the Metaphor (Kira Littlefield)
In Chapter 5, Kinetic and Interactive Poetry, Scott Rettberg states, "Words and letters are not only carriers of meaning but material objects that themselves have variable properties" (Rettberg, 118). Rettberg's statement seems to have a possible explanation for how medium can create a metaphor. Mostly because he is stating that "words and letters" can have "variable properties" which these properties may be what creates the metaphor in the medium. Right after that statement Rettberg says, "Movement in digital poetry functions as a metaphorical figure with as much semantic intent and affect as the words" (Rettberg, 118). Personally, I feel that speaks even more to the statement above and its meaning. Rettberg states, "Flash was developed more specifically with the Web in mind" (Rettberg, 138). I found this statement to be very interesting, and it seems to hold a lot of meaning surrounding the relationship between Flash and the Web. deer e.e. by Lori Janis & Ingrid Ankerson was very interesting. Personally, I found it to be a little chaotic, and I was sitting there watching it for a while before I even realized there was text in the corner I needed to click before I got more of the story. Cruising by Ingrid Ankerson & Megan Sapnar was also very interesting. I liked how it was narrated, and I didn't even realize I could interact with the piece until I started moving my mouse around. ii in the white darkness by Reiner Strasser & M.D. Coverly was very intriguing. I wouldn't have realized what this piece meant if I didn't read the information on it, but after I read the details on the piece it kind of clicked together while I was watching it. The memories were fading in and out.
The Dreamlife of Letters by Brian Kim Stefans was mention quite a bit in Electronic Literature by Scott Rettberg. It was also in our readings for this week. I found the context to this piece to be quite interesting. In the photo attached you can see the context of which The Dreamlife of Letters came about. While, exploring this piece I did notice that one link didn't work, and I feel this link was important to the context of the piece so it was unfortunate I couldn't assess it.

I like how you explored The Dreamlife of Letters! I looked into it, but not very deeply. I like the picture you provided of the context as I haven't yet seen that. I'm also sad the link didn't work, rip.
ReplyDelete