K-A's Week Seven: Network Writing
I really enjoyed the part of the chapter that looks at "play" from a writer's perspective rather than the reader's. When we've discussed play up to this point, we were referring to the interactive, engaging portion of the work. In this chapter, play refers to the learning curve the writer experiences when trying out a new medium. It's a much more enjoyable way of framing something that can get overwhelming or frustrating if you are used to a drastically different form of media. The fact that the internet and digital medias allow for very different ways of creating literature within themselves only adds to the amount of effort that has to be put into learning the complexities.
I choose to look at Lexia to Perplexia for my "bring it" this week. To be honest, I am not sure if the work still functions as it was meant to, or if it is genuinely broken like many older works. The entire point of the piece is to look at how something working correctly verses incorrectly can shape the meaning. The are points where the words on screen appear to be code, which I do believe is intentional, one of which being descriptors of a head/face that does not appear. However there are also clickable spots that do not take the reader anywhere, which I believe may be a case of genuine breakage. It is also possible that it was intentional, though. That uncertainty is the theme of the piece.
Comments
Post a Comment