Avry Wk 3 - What is Hyptertext

 After reading this weeks chapter I now know that hypertext fiction is one of the most influential pieces of e lit. It was the first form of E lit to spark interest in the late 1900s (80s and 90s). And since this era was full of the development of more personal electronic devices, people were able to work more seriously on it. Rettberg writes, "although other practices of digital writing preceded literary hypertext, without the small critical industry that developed around hypertext fiction during this period, electronic literature would likely not have been established as a field of academic research and practice int he way that it is today." 

The Garden of the Forking paths demonstrates the endless possibilities and branches that may come with ones choices, exactly what hypertext is. In the story, each decision creates a new reality, also like hypertext fiction where each way you decide to take the story will result in an alternate ending. 

Funny enough, as I read and learned about this genre, I was reminded of these American Girl Doll books I read when I was younger. They were the "build your own path" books and you could jump page to page to build the way the story unfolded. 

My reference today is Uncle Buddy's Phantom Funhouse (John Mcdaid 1990). I chose this because of the title of the work, it intrigued me. This hypertext fiction was very detailed, but confusing. It had endless options to click and explore. The main idea was that the readers "uncle buddy" had past away and left everything in his funhouse to you. The reader/user explores and clicks on all the options to see what is left behind. The goal is to piece together who your Uncle Buddy was as you navigate through his digital estate. 

Comments

  1. I thought about the books where you could follow your own story too! I forgot what the stories were, but after reading your blog post I feel like I read some of the American Girl Doll ones too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Avry final project link