What is E-Lit? (Kira Littlefield)



    In Electronic Literature Scott Rettberg states, "Electronic literature is most simply described as new forms and genres of writing that explore the specific capabilities of the computer and network - literature that would not be possible without the contemporary digital context" (Rettberg, 2). Rettberg seems to make this statement to give the readers a basic definition of electronic literature. Personally, I feel this definition truly helped me understand the basics of electronic literature. Scott Rettberg, and N. Katherine Hayles seem to give quite a bit of context on electronic literature along with context on the genres within electronic literature. N Katherine Hayles says, "The varieties of electronic literature are richly diverse, spanning all the types associated with print literature and adding some genres unique to networked and programmable media" (Hayles) N, Katherine Hayles uses the words "richly diverse" to describe electronic literature, which describes one of the reasons why we should read it, due to all its variety and depth. Electronic Literature and Electronic Literature: What is it? deeply describes electronic literature as a whole. Personally going into these readings as someone who has not worked with this topic was a little difficult, but there were many aspects of these readings that were easily understandable even with very little past understanding. "We rather co-evolve with our technologies" (Rettberg, 12). This statement from Rettberg truly stuck out to me as I have never thought of how much control we truly have on our technology.

    Code Movie 1 by Giselle Beiguelman is a piece of electronic literature mentioned in Electronic Literature by Scott Rettberg. Honestly, this piece of electronic literature is quite confusing to me. Reading a little bit on this piece I know it is made using hexa code, which I don't know much about either. In this piece there is some music, and a lot of movement with the hexa code they are using. While I don't really understand this piece of electronic literature I would like to understand more about it in the future.
 

   Image from a part of Code Movie I





Comments

  1. The quote you mentioned "We rather co-evolve with our technologies" (Rettberg, 12) is such an interesting topic to me and you bring up a good point when you said that we have so much control over technology. It makes me think about what we will do with technology in the future and how it will impact us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also looked at Code Movie 1! I thought the concept was interesting, but I still don't quite understand why Beiguelman created it in the way she did and what it's supposed to communicate. There isn't a particular visual appeal and after I watched it I was wondering what I was supposed to be feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog