Avry WK 1 - Bring it to the table

    These readings served as a proper and imaginative introduction to E lit for me. The book quotes, "Imagine that the book were different. Imagine it offered other affordances and material properties. Imagine that instead of turning pages you could make any work in the book a link to some other part of the book, or even some other book." (Rettberg, pg1) Just this quote in itself inspires me about the potential beauty that any piece of E lit can hold and how that beauty can expand into so many different realms of possibility. These two readings essential describe E lit as newer forms of genre writing exploring and utilizing different aspects of a computer and network that couldn't happen without digital networking. The way that both the article and the textbook described genres was a bit confusing to me. As the article goes on to provide multiple examples of E lit, and the book writes how genre's are a function of reading. So, from my understanding "genre" in E lit isn't confined to one specific category, and it can be used to enhance literature in many ways. 

I will be referencing Judd Morrissey's The Last Perfomance [dot prg] (2007) mentioned on page 7. This piece of literature was honestly kind of hard to navigate and understand. I wanted to try it out for myself, as it was interactive but it led me to the website "Go Daddy" and said I needed to pay 17 dollars. I decided I wasn't going to do that, and just do some digging on it on my own. It is a structuring device that invited participants to contribute text for one of its many different writing spaces or "lenses" on the site. The author describes it as a constraint based collaborative writing with text visualization responding to the theme of lastness. As you go throughout the site there are prompts to join and contribute, they are in either response format or for response for previously answered texts. This honestly seems very confusing, and I'm not entirely sure the point or goal of it all! 

Comments

  1. Oh, yes! Never pay monies. haha The web project is no longer there, so it's just asking if you want to buy the domain. You can download the video though (and it's still pretty weird)! https://collection.eliterature.org/2/works/00_morrissey.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you brought up the genre part of the book; I also found it interesting within the chapter. The discussion of whether genre is meant to be rules for a literary work to follow or a way to set reader expectations is of particular note, given that the book had earlier stated that the genres of electronic literature often blur into one another. It makes me wonder if there's even a point to giving e lit genres at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the honesty, because I wouldn't spend the money either! Even though you couldn't access it, I feel you were able to come up with some great findings, and mention a cool collaborative website! In regards to the genres, I honestly don't understand what that entirely means. I personally find them to be one big umbrella full of creativity in different forms!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog